Become An Indiana Master Naturalist! 2013
Interested and intrigued by nature and the environment?
Want to learn more aboutIndiana’s natural resources and share this information with others?
The Indiana Master Naturalist Program is an educational/volunteer program developed by the Indiana Department of Natural Resources and Purdue Extension to provide citizens with hands-on opportunities to learn about our State’s natural features and resources. The purpose of the program is to:
- Bring together natural resource specialists with adult learners (18 years and older) to foster an understanding of Indiana’s plants, soils, water, wildlife, history and people, and to promote volunteer service in local communities.
- Provide an educational opportunity for course participants by volunteering with a local agency or organization involved in natural resource management.
- In Allen County Indiana, this program is sponsored by Fox Island Alliance and Allen County Parks.
- The sessions will be held on Tuesday evenings from 6 to 9:30 pm and on Saturday mornings from 8:30am to 12:30pm and either at Fox Island County Park or Metea County Park.
- The sessions begin on February 26 with Orientation and end on May 14 with the final exam on Tuesday May 21st.
- Participants must attend the orientation meeting on Tuesday evening, February 12.
- Participants must attend at least 8 of the 9 class sessions, complete the final exam, and complete 33 volunteer hours to obtain the Indiana Master Naturalist Certification, a pin and a newsletter. Graduation Day is Tuesday, October 15, 2013.
- Class size is limited to 30 applicants. Space is reserved on a first-come first-served basis; and space will be reserved only when the $80.00 registration fee is paid.
- Advance registration is due by Friday, February 1, 2013.
You will receive a letter inviting you to orientation if you are among the first 30 to register.
2013 Class Schedule
|2/12||Orientation||Get Acquainted/Naturalists||6:00 pm – 9:30 pm||Metea County Park|
|2/26||Forest Ecology||Dr. Jordan Marshall||6:00 pm – 9:30 pm||Metea County Park|
|3/5||Geology||Tony Fleming||6:00 pm – 9:30 pm||Metea County Park|
|3/12||Reptiles/ & Amphibians||Dr. Bruce Kingsbury||6:00 pm – 9:30 pm||Metea County Park|
|3/23||Wetlands||Tim Skiver||8:30am-12:30pm||Fox Island County Park|
|4/13||Birds||Dr. James Haw||8:30am-12:30pm||Fox Island County Park|
|4/20||Wild Flowers||Ben Hess||8:30am-12:30pm||Fox Island County Park|
Divelbiss, Arata, Harding
|6:00 pm – 9:30 pm||Metea County Park|
|5/11||Native Trees||Ricky Kemery||8:30am- 12:30pm||Metea County Park|
|5/14||Mammals||Dr. Bruce Kingsbury||6:00 pm – 9:30 pm||Metea County Park|
|5/21||Final Exam||Required – No makeup||6pm-?||Metea County Park|