FOX ISLAND COUNTY PARK
NOTICE: Ellison Rd between Liberty Mills Rd and Branstrator Rd will be closed for railroad crossing reconstruction from 10/29 thru 10/3. Please find an alternate route to get to Fox Island County Park.
PLEASE NOTE: In August 2012 the Indiana Department of Transportation started renumbering all exits for Interstate 69 due to the southern extension of the highway. Exits in Fort Wayne are now numbered 200 higher than they used to be. Instead of using Exit 102 to get to Fox Island County Park the exit is now number 302. As of August 31st all exits both northbound and southbound have been renumbered. If you are using GPS or maps to get here the GPS maps will not be updated for awhile.
7324 Yohne Rd.
Fort Wayne, IN 46809
Phone: 260 449-3180
Fax: 260 449-3181
ABOUT FOX ISLAND COUNTY PARK
Fox Island is a 605 acre park located in southwest Allen County. Within this park, 270 acres are dedicated as State Nature Preserve, which protects areas having unique plants, animals or geographic features. Hundreds of species of animals and plants live at Fox Island because of the relatively natural condition of most of the area, with its habitats of marsh, seasonal ponds, wooded sand dunes, wetland forest, old fields and restored prairie. The park contains the largest contiguous forest in the county and a glacial sand dune.
Seven miles of marked trails through the preserve enable visitors to enjoy the beauty and splendor of the park. Over six miles are availabe during the winter for cross country skiing as long as we have four or more inches of snow on the ground. Ski equipment rental is also available on a limited basis.as having unique plants, animals or geographic features. Hundreds of species of animals and plants live at Fox Island because of the relatively natural condition of most of the area, with its habitats of marsh, seasonal ponds, wooded sand dunes, wetland forest, old fields and restored prairie.
Other amenities include:
- Nature Center – Large and small classrooms, conference room all available for rental; gift shop, education offices, and a variety of exhibits including the “Tree House”
- Allen County Parks Administrative Offices – located in Nature Center
- 3 open picnic shelters (50 person capacity)
- Campfire pits (by PERMIT ONLY)
- Bowman Lake – Swimming beach – No lifeguard on duty, swim at your own risk
- Fishing (additional $2 per person) – you must possess a valid Indiana fishing license
- Bird Observation Building
- Playground (near lake and beach)
- Doggie Beach – yes, your pooch can go swimming in this area. This is the only area where your dog is allowed off its leash. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ANIMAL!
- Fort Wayne Astronomical Society Observatory HAS MOVED AND IS NO LONGER AT FOX ISLAND- Visit thier website for more info on thier new location and programs at www.fortwayneastronomicalsociety.com