NOTICE: FOX ISLAND WILL BE CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE DUE TO EXTENSIVE STORM DAMAGE TO THE PROPERTY WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE!
5/24/2023 from the Superintendent of Allen County Parks
WE ARE STILL CLOSED. While we have made significant progress on removals of downed trees and other damage to the park we still have a lot of cleanup and trail work to be done that CANNOT be accomplished safely with the public inside the park. Thank you to all the volunteers that have helped with planting of trees on our planting days.
As it stands right now we are not looking to open up the park in 2023. We apologize as we know a lot of people like to spend Memorial Day and other summer days at the park.
Information relating to ALL Allen County Parks
- WE LOVE YOUR DOG BUT ALL DOGS MUST BE ON A LEASH AND UNDER THE CONTROL OF THE PERSON WHO BROUGHT THE DOG.
- FIREWORKS OF ANY KIND ARE STRICTLY PROHIBITED IN ANY ALLEN COUNTY PARK!
- ALCOHOL, OF ANY KIND, IS NOT PERMITTED IN ANY ALLEN COUNTY PARK! COOLERS ARE SUBJECT TO SEARCH AND SEIZURE.
PLEASE NOTE: We do NOT accept credit cards. Payments must be cash or check!
NOTICE: CLICK HERE FOR ROAD CONDITIONS
7324 Yohne Rd.
Fort Wayne, IN 46809
Phone: 260 449-3180
Fax: 260 449-3181
Click here for Streetside view of Fox Island and its trails This will bring up a Streetside Google Map. Any area that has a blue line can be viewed by dragging the Pegman to that spot on the trail or road. For help with this Google Map Help Streetside View
ABOUT FOX ISLAND COUNTY PARK
Fox Island is a 605 acre park located in southwest Allen County. Within this park, 270 acres are dedicated as State Nature Preserve, which protects areas having unique plants, animals or geographic features. Hundreds of species of animals and plants live at Fox Island because of the relatively natural condition of most of the area, with its habitats of marsh, seasonal ponds, wooded sand dunes, wetland forest, old fields and restored prairie. The park contains the largest contiguous forest in the county and a glacial sand dune.
Seven miles of marked trails through the preserve enable visitors to enjoy the beauty and splendor of the park. Over six miles are available during the winter for cross country skiing as long as we have four or more inches of snow on the ground. Hundreds of species of animals and plants live at Fox Island because of the relatively natural condition of most of the area, with its habitats of marsh, seasonal ponds, wooded sand dunes, wetland forest, old fields and restored prairie.
Other amenities include:
- Nature Center – Large and small classrooms, conference room all available for rental; gift shop, education offices, and a variety of exhibits including the “Tree House”
- Allen County Parks Administrative Offices – located in Nature Center
- 3 open picnic shelters (50 person capacity)
- Campfire pits (by PERMIT ONLY)
- Bowman Lake – Swimming beach – No lifeguard on duty, swim at your own risk
- Fishing (additional $2 per person) – you must possess a valid Indiana fishing license
- Vera Dulin Wildlife Observation Building
- Playground (near lake and beach)
- Doggie Beach – yes, your pooch can go swimming in this area. This is the only area where your dog is allowed off its leash. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ANIMAL!